Thursday, March 8, 2018

The Long, Long Trail to Experience


"The Long Trail to Experience"


180223A
I left my home on June 1, 1966. On June 2, I arrived at a small seaside community in South Carolina. There I was fed; given medical treatment; provided with clothing and such equipment as I would need to learn a very unusual vocation. I was taught how to maintain my mental stability, though that hasn't been a piece of cake. They instructed me in history, some politics, government and a healthy knowledge of basic medical procedures: I.V's, closing a sucking chest wound, treating for shock, sun stroke, heat stroke, dehydration, gastric difficulties from lack of food or wrong food. All this, plus so much more, was given to me. It cost me nothing. Nothing but my loyalty, commitment, and dedication to an invisible but always present belief in freedom and equality. From that time until now, I, along with many, many others have gone forward learning newer and more difficult subjects and tasks.  More difficult but extremely important to myself and my Brothers and Sisters. Some days were unbearable, but perseverance, learned early on, enabled our success. There were times when tears were bitter and burned our cheeks, but we went on. It was our vocation; our job; our duty. My Brothers and Sisters and me have trained young ones from across the country, and some from other countries. We taught them for the same reason we were taught, because we owed them the chance to succeed and survive. 39 years and 10 months after I left, I came back. I wasn't the same as when I left. Obviously I was older. My physical self had survived broken bones, bits of flying metal, tears, cuts and cancer. How could I be the same. I learned over those years what a bully was; what condescending meant; how not all believe in equality and may be short on real freedom. Mostly I overlook what are normally called shortcomings. But my shortcomings are not overlooked. I'm judged and given a position in society. I can live with that. I was taught to overlook the shortcomings of people and communities and groups. To look for their best; to try and catch them doing something right and praise them. My Father wanted me to be a 'business man'. Finish college and amount to something he thought was appropriate. That didn't work out but I found a higher calling. One that requires me to be awake while others peacefully sleep. One that requires me to move toward the gunfire, not away. I may never meet the cookie cutter mold expected as status quo, but that is also alright. I'm not so sure others meet my standards and those are what really concern me. I've been to college. I've been to VoTec Schools. My qualifications far exceed many who would try and look down at my beginnings. Though humble, that little community in South Carolina has been the beginning point for more than a few great men and women. It is but one of many for scores of other men and women. But it was my starting point. I graduated the curriculum there, because there was only pass, or fail. I am an Alumnus of Marine Corps Recruit Depot, Parris Island, South Carolina. I hold a PHD from the University of South East Asia and accolades from around the world. So, as people around the country lay their heads down, know you are protected by those just like me and my Brothers and Sisters. When you equate 30 minutes of confusion and terror to a number on a scale.   Remember this, 30 minutes in some circles really isn't that big of a deal. Built up by certain failures it will be remembered this time every year. It will be in the dreams, intrusive thoughts and force feed by groups like CNN. If a person doesn't have a useful, valid solution or idea for the better, shut the hell up.

1 comment:

  1. Yep.
    I was right when I tapped the accept button by your name on that friends list.
    Good ... bad ... Indifferent ...
    a dull penny to keep you company.

    ReplyDelete