Thursday, March 8, 2018

On Fear and Composure


This is a portion of the Marines' "Rifleman's' Creed". Note particularly the paragraph(s) in quotes.
This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
 My rifle is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.
 Without me, my rifle is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless. 
"I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will…"
My rifle and I know that what counts in war is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our burst, nor the smoke we make. We know that it is the hits that count. We will hit…"
In the story concerning a criminal hiding in an RV, the bad guy fired twice.  Law enforcement, 65 times; no one was hit by either side. Sixty five rounds were returned fire! What in the hell were they shooting at? They couldn't see the bad guy, only the sound of where the shot might have come from.
I know the confusion of battle. That confusion is why we train to maintain our tactical composure and control our fear. Wild firing is a sign of uncontrolled fear and inexperience. The good guys were laying on the ground, flopping around like fish in a hot frying pan. The timbre in their voices was indicative of their angst and lack of composure. I wonder, would it have been better to maintain and, as calmly as possible, evaluate the status of the situation?
Sixty five rounds of pretty much non-aimed and wild firing.  They posed clear and evident dangers to anyone within at least 100 yards. Just my opinion, but wouldn't a few more days at the range and in situational training have reduced the clamor and confusion of the situation.
I'm not trying to be a backseat driver or portray myself as a guy with all the answers. I am trying to offer constructive criticism.
I have known fear.  I've almost dropped a load in my drawers! Knowledge based on experience and acquired through training really saves lives. But, there is also the very old adage that it isn't the bullet, the arrow or the rock with our names on them we need to worry about. It's that sucker addressed "To Whom It May Concern", that fatherless devil we can't avoid.
This incident was in California where the Los Angeles SWAT is world renowned.  All the expertise necessary for success.  The San Francisco PD has access to those assets.  Used they would provide for a better and safer officer corps.  One of inspiration, professionalism and protection and not one of ridicule.

No comments:

Post a Comment